- iPolar is an iPhone, iPod touch and iPad app (download in AppStore)
- iPolar generates sailing yachts polars of cruising yachts and cruiser racers from a very simple set of data
- Mandatory Input data: Length Overall, Displacement, Mainsail area, jib area (units can be set to metric or imperial)
- Optional data: Symmetrical Spinnaker area, Assymetrical spinnaker area
- For each sail configuration in the input data, iPolar will compute a performance polar decribing the yacht performance in kts for wind strength ranging from 4 to 30kts and true wind angles ranging from 0° to 180°
- Resulting polars can be visualized as a graph and as a table of numbers within iPolar.
In addition, the polars can be sent directly to the following applications:
iRegatta : tactical application.
Tack Pad: passage planning tool.
Weather4D : weather & routing application.
- iPolar has been developed to generate accurate polars of cruising yachts. It currently does not handle multihulls and is limited to yachts with a size ranging from 8 to 20m. The accuracy of the application decreases for yachts whose displacement to length and sail area to displacement ratios are outside the usual range for production cruisers and cruiser racers